Play Free Online Casino Games – No Downloads Needed!
All betting content on NJ.com is written exclusively by Catena Media, which provides expert analysis, reviews, bonuses, and tools for sports bettors and casino players. Please wager responsibly.
There are plenty of ways to play free games at US online casinos. Even if you don’t live in a state with real money online casinos, you can find free online casino games in nearby states or social casinos.
Free online casino games are mostly faithful recreations of their real money counterparts, but gameplay generally moves faster, and you can always find a seat at a table. Below, see where and how to play the best free casino games online.
Best Online Casinos for Free Casino Games in the USA
Best Free Online Casino Games To Try
Free online casino games aren’t just standard slots and a basic blackjack game. For the online casino apps that make demo play a focal point, the entire scope of their offerings is available to you at no charge. As a result, you can experience a host of cutting-edge games without any risk to your finances.
Some of the best free online casino games to try are:
- Divine Fortune (Slot)
- Deal or No Deal (Slot)
- Bingo Blackjack (Table Game)
- Baccarat – Professional Series (Table Game)
- Ultimate X Poker – Ten Play (Video Poker)
These five are just the tip of the iceberg. If there is a game that you want to play or try, you are almost certain to find it on one of our best online casinos for beginners.
Which Online Casino Games Can You Play for Free?
The vast majority of online casino games are available for free. Even real money online casinos usually offer a way to play without pay—mostly through free demo games.
A game’s demo mode lets you experience the full scope of its features. You are allotted a certain amount of play money (worth nothing and only for the game) and turned loose on the game’s full functionality.
If you run out of your play money, return to the main lobby and reenter the game you were playing. Your stash of play cash will be back to its original amount.
Here are the types of online casino games you can play for free.
- Slots – The bread and butter of every online casino, free slots are available in demo mode on several online casino apps.
- Table games – Demos for table games can really come in handy. The strategic aspect and quirky rules of most table games mean that you probably need to practice before you play for real money.
- Video poker – The casino staple also takes plenty of proper video poker strategy to play correctly. Cutting your teeth on a demo version before you try real online video poker is a good idea.
- Specialty – Games like Slingo, bingo, keno, and virtual sports are more hit-or-miss for demo versions because they aren’t as popular.
Now, another type of “free” online casino game is available—in a way. If you receive bonus money or bonus bets through online casino bonuses for new players, you can and should use those credits to play for “free.” These bonuses let you play without spending your own money (yet) or, at worst, with only a small deposit.
Online casino games of all stripes are also cheaper than most options you’ll find in real life. The lack of staff translates into minimum bet amounts that sometimes dip below $1, depending on the game.
Free Online Slots
Most slot games have demo versions available on the casino sites themselves. However, you may have to hunt on different casino apps to find the free slots games you want as demos. Some of the best slots sites are more diligent and/or committed to offering demo versions than others.
Just on a cursory review, we found demo versions of the following popular games at various legal online casinos:
- 88 Fortunes
- China Shores
- Divine Fortune
- Monopoly – Lunar New Year
- Starburst XXXtreme
- Wheel of Fortune – Power Wedges
This list is not exhaustive at all. We just wanted you to see that you can play some of these very famous and popular games without committing any part of your bankroll.
One thing to note while you’re playing demo slots is which offer the lowest minimum bets. All else equal, it will stretch your budget further if you can stick to the games with the lowest barriers to entry.
The point of playing free slots is to familiarize yourself with your favorite slots’ pay tables and winning combinations. However, at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. You’ll win or lose based on the decisions the game makes.
Free Table Games
Most table games have free demos, and we strongly recommend that you take advantage of them before you start playing for real money. Unlike slots, in which you largely cede control of your outcome to the game itself, table games often entail some strategy.
As a result, not understanding the game can result in unforced losses. There’s no reason you should play a game you do not understand. Games that commonly have free demos include:
- Online roulette
- Online black jack
- Online baccarat
- Three Card Poker
- Let It Ride
- Caribbean Stud
- Four Card Poker
- DJ Wild Stud Poker
- Pai Gow Poker
- Ultimate Texas Hold’em
- Casino War
- I (Love) Suits Poker
You’ll probably find more games with demos than appear on this list. You should confine yourself to the demo version of whatever game(s) you choose for a while. Table games often require more focus and at least one decision point to proceed. You should clearly understand what is happening before you start throwing money around.
Online table games also share online slots’ trait of bearing lower betting minimums than you’ll find in a physical casino. Online, the minimum is likely a dollar. That figure is much less than the 10 or 15 dollars per hand you can expect at live casinos.
Moving from Free to Real Money Online Casino Games
You can play free online casino games for as long as you like, and the best online casino apps will make it easy for you. Here’s what to do.
- Close out the demo version of your favorite game. Don’t worry; it will still be available on the other side.
- Register for an account on your chosen online casino if you have not done so already. The registration area should be plain to see, but it’s usually in the upper right corner of the main lobby. Occasionally, you may have to access the sign-up sheets from the login screen, rather than the main lobby, so press the button to log into your account if you don’t see an obvious registration button.
- Deposit into your account. Online casinos have a variety of deposit methods that you can use, including credit cards, debit cards, online banking, electronic checks, PayPal, Skrill, and prepaid cards. Choose the option that works best for your financial situation.
- Once your new account is funded, you can play the real money version of your favorite game as much as your bankroll permits. The game should be in the same spot in the app or site where you found the demo. The only difference is that you’ll select “PLAY” rather than the demo mode.
Players transitioning from free to real money often experience similar cues that push them in that direction. If you are beginning to experience some of the feelings or thoughts below, it may be time to explore the possibility of a change. However, if you are not feeling this way, that’s fine, too. Here are the most common reasons why players move from free to real money online casino games:
- Free play is boring you or making you antsy. Even though most casino games are quite fun, they can get a bit stale if there’s nothing on the line. The mechanics of winning a double down in blackjack or scoring a big win on a slot might only hold your attention for so long. If you’re finding yourself becoming less willing to play because you feel as though you’ve been there and done that, you may find a new realm of enjoyment with some real money on the line.
- You may realize a profit. Free online casino games are harmless activities, but at the end of the day, they are time-wasters. After you stop playing, you are not materially enriched any more than when you began. Of course, you’re not poorer, either, but when you play real money games, there is a chance that you’ll log out with more money than you had when you logged into your account.
- You can claim bonuses and earn rewards. Most online casinos have a panoply of bonus offers that you can use to enrich your account balance. When you play for free, none of those opportunities are available to you, and you will miss opportunities to put hundreds of extra dollars in your pocket. Online casinos that are part of a larger casino company usually participate in their company’s rewards system, too, and your real money play can work to get you extra wagers, entertainment offers, or even comped meals and hotel stays at the company’s physical locations.
- There may be additional features in the “real” game. Extra features, bonuses, or other elements could be reserved for real money players and unavailable in demo mode. In other words, you may be able to find a slightly richer gaming experience if you make the jump.
Free Online Casino Apps
In a sense, every online casino app is free. It is completely free to download them, install them, and create an account at the top online casino apps. Let’s quickly run through the steps to get started.
- Use our secure link to access the download page for the app of your choice. If there is a bonus code listed with our link, please write or copy it down.
- You should see an option to download the app to your phone’s format. The download and installation procedure is identical to the one you use for any other type of app.
- Open the app and look for the registration button. It shouldn’t be hard to see, but if it isn’t there, press the button to log into your account. The login page will have an option for you that says “New to the app?” or something similar.
- Register for an account with your personal information. You’ll need to furnish your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, date of birth, and Social Security number. You’ll also need to designate a username and password.
- It’s bonus code time. The registration screen will contain a blank for promocodes. If you happened to write one down earlier, enter it here. Make sure that you don’t have any typos and that you capitalize the letters exactly as they appear.
- After you submit your information, you should be good to go. You may have to verify your email address or log back in with your newly created username and password, but you’re now a full-fledged member of the site.
There is no real difference between accessing the games for real money and accessing them for demo play. Simply head to the games section, select the game you want, and choose “demo mode” or “demo play” from the list of options on the game’s button.
Are Free Online Casino Games Really Free?
Yes! If you’re wondering why any of the best online casinos would offer its games for free, you have to think about marketing and the long game. From a casino’s point of view, every person who plays the demo version is a potential customer, since they’ve already indicated that they are interested in the games.
The cost to offer a demo version is, at worst, a marketing expense. After the initial development and conversion, there isn’t even an ongoing expenditure aside from the server space (which may not be an additional cost at all). In essence, it’s a free, perpetual commercial that generates actual conversions and customers.
Now, to be clear, you never have to play for real money. If you always stick to the demo mode, that’s perfectly fine. However, the reason for the demo mode is that the casino app is making a bet of its own: eventually, you will decide to put some real money on the line.
How do I know online casino games are fair?
Because online casino games appear to function without any input, they can seem a bit suspect in fairness—especially when things aren’t going your way. However, there are four excellent ways to know that your online casino games are fair.
- Online casinos are not shy about sharing the details of their random number generator software, often abbreviated as “RNG.” These programs work in concert with each game to ensure that the outcome of each spin or hand is truly random and not subject to any malarkey on the casino side.
- All online casinos on this page are licensed and subject to state oversight where they operate. A gaming board investigation that revealed unfairness in the program would devastate the online casino, as it could face consequences, including losing its license. Casinos won’t take that risk.
- The gaming commission isn’t the only place an online casino would face difficulties if its games weren’t on the up and up. An online casino saddled with a reputation for shady dealings would not survive the public relations firestorm that would ensue. At the very least, the company would have to spend gobs of money to fix its systems and prove to the public that the problem had been fixed. The casino doesn’t want to spend gobs of money.
- Finally, you can rest assured that online casino games are fair because casinos don’t have to rig them to make money. The mathematical advantage they wield over every game is sufficient to guarantee a profit over time. All they have to do is keep players happy and playing, and they benefit in the end. All that said, feel secure in the fact that inasmuch as the odds are stacked against you on the games themselves, the odds are quite in your favor that you’re getting a fair deal.
Free Online Casino Games FAQ